Do you add any other information to my data?

Government departments and agencies hold information about people, which they use for routine administrative purposes. From time to time, we add information from these routine administrative records to the study data. We only do this if we have permission from you.

In the age 50 Survey in 2008 we asked you for your permission to add information from health records held by the NHS and economic records held by the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) and Her Majesty’s Revenue and Customs (HMRC) to the information you have given us in our surveys over the years. If you lived with a partner at the time we also asked them for permission to add information from their records.

As part of the Life in Your Early 60s’ Survey, if you had not previously given your permission, we will ask your permission again. If you live with a partner who has not previously given permission, we will also ask their permission to add information from their records.

To add information from administrative records, we securely transfer personal details (such as name, sex, date of birth, address, NHS and National Insurance number – if available) to the government department or agency, for those of you who have given permission to do so. No other information about you, or any of your answers to the surveys, is sent. The government bodies or agencies only use these details to identify the records in their systems and then send us the information from these records. Once the records are identified, your person details are destroyed. The government departments and agencies do not retain the personal details sent to them. When the information from the records is sent to us, we add it to the information collected in the study, and make it available to researchers under restricted access arrangements. Names, addresses, National Insurance and/or NHS numbers, are never disclosed to researchers.

The permissions for adding information from administrative records can be changed or withdrawn at any time, without giving us any reason. This can be done by writing to us free of charge to: FREEPOST RTKJ-BBSL-CJXR, National Child Development Study, UCL Social Research Institute, 20 Bedford Way, London, WC1H 0AL, or by emailing the NCDS team at

We also add information, which is not about you individually, but is about, for example, the school you went to or the area you live in. Any information like this provided to researchers is de-identified and cannot be used to find out who is in the study.

Watch our video to find out more about adding other information.